My particular environment uses glibc, so the old version of the
example seems to work well. I omit the syslog service's log directory
and the log lines appear on my container's stdout, which was my
goal.

 If your goal is to have syslog messages appear on your container's
stdout, then you should actually be able to get away with not having
any syslogd service at all, which is always the preferred solution!

 When syslog() can't find a server that listens on /dev/log, it writes
its message to /dev/console. In a container environment, /dev/console
by definition should be your container's stdout. So, not handling
syslog messages in your container at all should naturally make them
fall through to where you want them.

--
 Laurent