Thanks for the extensive answer.

Since I feel like we are more and more fighting about each others wording and the answers consisting of quotations of each other get longer and longer, I will try and summarize what we have now.

I hope you are fine with this.

My approach(see here: https://skarnet.org/lists/supervision/3139.html):

- Forks the user-tree off the system-tree.

- Allows autostart of different bundles at different times (e.g. directly at boot time) / login types (e.g. on ssh login, on graphical login, ...).

- I still need to find/decide on a good solution for getting the env's to the user's shell.

- Needs direct maintenance of the people responsible for the s6/s6-rc overlay/profile.

- Adds the need for ~3 (when using s6-rc) system services to properly handle user service tree creation and instantiation.

Turnstile

- Forks the user-tree off the turnstile process, directly related to the login session.

- Austostarts the same user services on every login type, none on boot.

- Automatically exports env's to the user's shell.

- Needs close monitoring by the people responsible for the s6/s6-rc overlay/profile or at least good connection between them and the maintainer of the Turnstile ebuild, due to its tight integration.

- Handles user service tree creation itself.

Did I miss anything important?

Anyway, I will happily to continue this discussion, I think someone criticizing my ideas as strongly as you do, is the best way to bring their issues and flaws to light, so that I can solve them or even realize that I am on the wrong track alltogether.

Obarun Linux's 66 service manager (which is the one mentioned in the closed
Turnstile issue you first commented on) also works with s6 user supervision
trees spawned directly off of the system tree. You might want to study it.
Thank you, I will look into that!

...and you're probably tired of me shilling Turnstile :P.
No, not at all, I have learned a lot from your criticisms. Seriously, keep going!

Have a nice Thursday!