Hey,

Paul Sopka schrob:
> [ user services have service dir in /run and logs in /var ]
> What do you think about that reasoning?

Agree.
Besides consistency, putting those below $HOME would also break in NFS
setups where $HOME is shared among several machines.

> I do not *want* to adhere to the XDG spec, it just seemed sensible to me and
> nobody has provided any reason against it so far.

See reason above. ;) But otherwise the correct sentiment.

> Anyway,  [1] made me think about why not to use a "/"-like structure under
> "~/" (e.g. ~/.var, ~/.etc) instead of the XDG spec. Can you point me to any
> thread/list discussing that?

Please don't. There's already 2 different standards for dotfiles (XDG
and ~/.nameofprogram), inventing a third one is a case of
https://xkcd.com/927/
(But per the above, ~/ is not apropriate anyway, so the point is moot.)

cheers,
    Jan