The problem you're describing sounds more like a combination of browser
bugs, more than anything.  I have seen instances of both Firefox and IE
both caching Content-Types of web pages on occasion.  Thankfully Firefox
behaves significantly better, and has the "View Page Info" option, which
will tell you what encoding all of the data is being rendered as.

Secondly:

suPHP does not understand php_admin_flag.  If your Apache server starts
and doesn't complain about php_admin_flag being an unknown command, you
have mod_php[45].so loaded somewhere in your Apache config.

Thirdly, regarding locales:

If you want web pages displayed in certain character sets, you should be
specifying that character set in the HTML output using the Content-Type
equiv, e.g.:

This doesn't have anything with iconv or mbstring.  Those are for string
manipulation functions and collation (conversion between one charset and
another).

Bottom line: if you want to use utf-8 (good for you!  I salute you), you
need to use it from the very start.  If any data that PHP script has
stored in the past *was not* using utf-8, then you're going to have
collated data, and it's a real pain to deal with.