I would be grateful for any assistance.

I have followed taken instruction from the following sources but still suPHP
fails to work.

I believe it may be specific to Debian/Ubuntu but I'm not sure.

End result is that browser tries to download .php page instead of Apache
processing it.

   Do I actually need to re-compile suPHP?

   Have I included a step which is not required?

   Have I missed something specific to Debian?

   What logs should I be checking for errors?

NB: I am using Plesk not ISPConfig (I don't think it makes a difference)

http://www.howtoforge.com/apache2_suphp_php4_php5

http://www.howtoforge.com/install-suphp-on-various-linux-distributions-for-u
se-with-ispconfig-2.2.20-and-above

http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-13544.html

1. Disabled the normal PHP5 module:

a2dismod php5

/etc/init.d/apache2 restart

2. Installed the prerequisites needed to build mod_suphp:

apt-get install php5-cgi apache2-prefork-dev

3. Downloaded and built suPHP, adding the extra option
'--sbindir=/usr/lib/suphp':

cd /tmp

wget http://www.suphp.org/download/suphp-0.6.3.tar.gz

tar xvfz suphp-0.6.3.tar.gz

cd suphp-0.6.3

./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --with-apache-user=www-data
--with-setid-mode=paranoid --with-apxs=/usr/bin/apxs2
--sbindir=/usr/lib/suphp

make

make install

4. Added the suPHP module to Apache configuration:

nano /etc/apache2/httpd.conf

LoadModule suphp_module       /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_suphp.so

5. Created the configuration file /etc/suphp.conf

cp /tmp/suphp-0.6.3/doc/suphp.conf-example /etc/suphp.conf

[global]

;Path to logfile

logfile=/var/log/suphp.log

;Loglevel

loglevel=info

;User Apache is running as

webserver_user=www-data

;Path all scripts have to be in

docroot=/

;Path to chroot() to before executing script

;chroot=/mychroot

;Security options

allow_file_group_writeable=false

allow_file_others_writeable=false

allow_directory_group_writeable=false

allow_directory_others_writeable=false

;Check wheter script is within DOCUMENT_ROOT

check_vhost_docroot=true

;Send minor error messages to browser

errors_to_browser=false

;PATH environment variable

env_path=/bin:/usr/bin

;Umask to set, specify in octal notation

umask=0077

; Minimum UID

min_uid=100

; Minimum GID

min_gid=100

[handlers]

;Handler for php-scripts

x-httpd-php=php:/usr/bin/php5-cgi

;Handler for CGI-scripts

x-suphp-cgi=execute:!self

6. Add the suPHP module to the Apache configuration.

nano /etc/apache2/httpd.conf

LoadModule suphp_module       /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_suphp.so

7. Created hosts.conf file:

# PHP version detected 5

<IfModule mod_suphp.c>

<Directory "/var/www/vhosts/example.com/httpdocs/">

php_admin_flag engine on

suPHP_Engine On

suPHP_ConfigPath "/var/www/vhosts/example.com/httpdocs/"

AddHandler php5-script .php

AddHandler x-httpd-php .php5

suPHP_AddHandler php5-script .php

<Files php.ini>

order allow,deny

deny from all

</Files>

php_value open_basedir "/tmp/"

php_value upload_tmp_dir "/var/www/vhosts/example.com/httpdocs/tmp/"

</Directory>

</IfModule>

8. Restarted Apache:

/etc/init.d/apache2 restart