Hi Thomas,

I believe you first need to remove the standard php handler and switch
off the php engine before enabling the suPHP engine and adding the suPHP
php handler:

                        RemoveHandler x-httpd-php
                        php_admin_flag engine Off
                        suPHP_AddHandler x-httpd-php .php
                        suPHP_Engine on
                        suPHP_ConfigPath /path/to/custom/ini/file
                        AddHandler x-httpd-php .php

HTH
Patric