Norman Fuchs wrote:

1. New mail messages do not have a red question mark, although all newsgroup messages do. If I click on the "junk" box for a mail message, the mark changes to "junk" status, and if I click again, it is "not junk", i.e., the red mark is gone forever for that message. Since I have many hundreds (thousands?) of mail messages, this is not a practical method of removing the unwanted marks.

4. I've tried unsubscribing and then subscribing to this newsgroup. The repopulated message list still has the red question marks.

junk mail status does not apply to newsgroups.

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm