Robert Kaiser wrote:
"bug free"? Win98? really? Well, if you count knowing the workarounds to most bugs as that, perhaps.

Don't let yourself fool by popular knowledge. A Win98SE system that's setup well is reasonably bug free.

"reasonably well performing"? Have you tried openSUSE, ubuntu or similar Linux distributions?

I had Ubuntu on a 350 Mhz machine, and it was very, very slow. Slower than Win95 on my 233 Mhz machine. GNU/Linux is not as good as Win9x when it comes to performance, which is mainly due to hungry window managers like Gnome and KDE, and the insanity that is the X-Window system.