Solved - not sure why, but rebooting windows proved to make the problem go away. Things seem OK again.

Margo Guda wrote:
It's not - I checked

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
Margo Guda wrote:
Hello, I'm running the 2.0 pre and tried today to install the latest
update, which SM tells me is ready to install. However when I restart
my system I keep getting the message that the update failed because
another instance of SM is running (not true, I checked) and then
proceeds to start the version I was already running, 2.0b1 pre.
Does anybody know what the problem is here?

Thanks in advance.
Margo Guda.

make sure that SM isn't running in the processes section of the task
manager.