Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

as others have said, and I will say too, there is no problem with FF 3. SM 1.1.x is based on the old FF 2 coding, therefore, there are some website coding that will not work in old FF/SM coding -- for example php. I will go out on a hunch and say that SM2 should work, as its based on FF3 coding.

I want to correct a misconception that seems to crop up here, occasionally, and has done so, again.

PHP is one of many *server* side scripting languages, others include ASP, CFM, and JSP, to name a few. (They all behave in a generally similar manner, so, while I'm using PHP as the current example, you could substitute any of the other flavors, as well.)

Unlike a static HTML page, when you request a PHP page, the server does not send the code as it is written in the file, verbatim. Rather, it processes the script commands with the PHP interpreter, to dynamically generate the relevant HTML.

It is the resulting HTML that is actually sent to the browser. If the server is properly configured, the browser never sees the server side code, only the HTML result. Which is a good thing, as I'm not aware of *any* browser that can render, or run the actual PHP code, itself!

However, like any other programming, scripting, or markup language, garbage in = garbage out. As JimM has pointed out, that page generates a whole boatload of errors.

That's not the fault of PHP, though. Like a good child, it is simply doing exactly as it is told, by the developers. Just as with static HTML, they have complete control as to whether the script output is standards compliant, or not.

That's the condensed version. For further reading, explanation, or just plain curiosity, see these pages, for starters:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server-side_scripting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Client-side_scripting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHP

Hope this clears it up.