Michael--

There are many things for which we need administrator's privileges at
work.  We have our workstation PCs in our cubes, where we can crunch
data, feed our faces, and guzzle coffee, and our instruments in our lab
that control our analytical instruments (gas chromatographs, mass
spectrometers, etc.)  We all have administrator rights on those
machines, because the controlling software needs them to run.

Regarding installing something harmful on our local network or PCs, not
being an administrator would never prevent us from doing that.  We are
good at destroying things :)

Jim