JeffM wrote:
Lester Caine wrote:
[...]when I select www.pctools.com it seems to be saying
the domain does not exist,
jet the same search and link works fine on the machine next door.

[...]trying to update the pctools anti virus fails, and
following the link in seamonkey also fails.

A quick peek at that site in my GetRight browser
shows it want to load 6 JavaScripts.  Got that disabled?

If I went there with a Mozilla browser,
I'd have to block almost everything to stand it.
From the contents listing I see using GetRight,
that page is also one of the most cluttered, junked-up things
I've encountered lately.

This is not a browser compatibility thing - at least I don't think so. The reason for going to the site was because the on-line anti-virus update was failing. THAT was when I found that seamonkey was having trouble, but the problem is not seamonkey - it's something deeper inside pigging windows.

This morning I quite happily started the machine - all the startup stuff has been disabled so it's only using windows drivers/services at present. I downloaded SM1.1.15 - installed it and navigated around for a bit avoiding known problem sites. But any attempt to go to M$ or pctools sites gives a dns error. And if i try to ping those problem addresses - address not found. But the other machines here ping pctools happily and get addresses for M$. It's only THAT machine which complains.

Since the important stuff IS working, I thought I'd just ignore these problems despite the fact that we can't update the anti virus, but I'm also having a problem getting email working. It will not connect to the email server.

THIS flagged up one thing which may be relevant. The customer is using AOL which I have had problems with in the past, and it seems that 'talk-talk' are taking over and moving customers. So I'm wondering if something relating to THAT is now screwing up normal operation :(

So much for doing someone a 'quick favour'!

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL