Sometimes, when I select a link to a PDF file, the file appears within
the SeaMonkey window, appearently using the nppdf32.dll plugin.  Other
times, the Download Manager is launched; and the file is eventually
displayed within a separate Adobe Reader window.

Why does this lack of consistency occur?

Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
AVG Anti-Virus 8.5.375

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.22)
   Gecko/20090605 SeaMonkey/1.1.17
with Menu, Navigation, Status, and PrefBar bars displayed
Cookies for the originating Web site only

No firewall or proxy

Extensions:
Adblock Plus 1.0.1
FlashBlock 1.3.13
LiveHTTPHeaders 0.13.1
Mnenhy 0.7.6
PrefBar 4.1.1:
        Unrequested popups suppressed
        Images from the originating server only
        FlashBlock enabled
        etc
Show (Master) Passwords 0.1.2

nppdf32.dll 9.1.0.163
AcroRd32.exe 9.1.0.163

NOTE:  I posed this question here at the beginning of the month but
received no answers.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>