On 8/30/2009 8:27 PM, Phillip Jones wrote:
> Hello, it been a while I vowed never to come back to this forum except
> to ask a question. I remain true to my vow. I am asking a question
>
> I have a puzzle.
>
> examine this page with SM 1.1.17:
>
> http://villageelectronicsservice.com/VacationSchedule.aspx
>
> Now use: SM 2, FF3.0/3.5, Omniweb, Opera or iCab.
>
> In all of those All-in-ones and Web Browsers The page for me views as it
> should.
>
> In SM 1.1.17
>
> after the side text is shown then the main text shows about an inch to
> inch and a half wide.
>
> using the w3c validator, typing the  link above shows numerous items
> needing correction and several warning. yet the other applications
> appear to load correctly. If you go to any links other than vacation,
> the pages work even on SM1.1.17.
>
> Anyone have an explanation.

Generally, a rendering engine (the browser's guts that display a Web
page) is programmed to "guess" how to display a page that is buggy.
Different rendering engines might guess differently, depending on how
the programmer decides HTML syntax errors should be handled.

SeaMonkey 1.1.17 gives different results from SeaMonkey 2.x because they
different Gecko engines.  SeaMonkey 2.x uses approximately the same
engine that is used by Firefox 3.x, an engine that guesses differently
from the one used by SeaMonkey 1.1.17.

In my opinion, a browser is not at fault if it displays a buggy Web page
incorrectly, even if other browsers are able to display the page
appropriately.  After all, if you input manure, you should not be
surprised if the output is also manure.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>