Smiles wrote:

Good day

my old c drive started to make a banging sound so I backed up everything I needed from it to my g drive after replacement and reinstalling XP with SP3 when I put my profile back in it is read only any attempt in windows and dos has no affect at changing it

has any one heard of this problem?
also all files on the gdrive are read only

If it's a CD-ROM, that's normal (not that a CD-ROM would hold a full backup of a modern HDD...).

As for making your profile work, just right-click on the folder (in Windows Explorer), choose "Properties," and clear the "Read-only" checkbox. You'll be prompted to decide whether you want this to apply only to the folder itself or to all its files and subfolders as well; choose all.

You may need admin privileges to do this, I'm not sure.

Paul B. Gallagher