Ken Rudolph wrote:
What's the difference between this and the actual release?

Only a few last-minute bugs fixes, which are hopefully very small and fix things that users report with the RC1.

but I've been waiting for the
actual release, which I had heard was happening "in a week or so".

If we would release this RC as final, the release would be roughly a week after it - I expect that we'll have a second RC though with a number of assorted fixed, and I hope that one can become the actual final around October 21.

Apparently this still isn't the official release version?

It could be, but it might not yet be - that's what RCs are for, to get some wide testing and last-minute reports of problem so that we see if we can release exactly this build or need to do another one with some last-minute bug fixes.

Robert Kaiser