David E. Ross:
> On 11/1/2009 6:34 AM, Robert Kaiser wrote:

>> about:config is not designed to be an interface for normal users,
>> and nothing that should either be documented without holes, it's
>> more a graphical advanced access point to everything that is stored
>> in the preferences system, which includes knobs only developers or
>> anyone doing debugging is supposed to tweak. You know, there's a
>> reason why we put up a scary warning by default when you call up
>> this about:config page.
>
> Hmm.  I don't get any warning.

Perhaps because of user_pref("general.warnOnAboutConfig", false);? ;)

>I have always advocated -- both with Mozilla-based applications and
>others dating back some 40 years -- to use user-oriented
>capabilities (e.g., [Edit > Preferences]) whenever possible.  This is
>because user-oriented capabilities generally include necessary
>housekeeping about which the user will not know.

And this is an advantage of SM compared with FF or TB. But they may
argue, that SM is too complicated for a normal user. *g*

>However, there are tweaks the users want to do that are not supported
>by any user-oriented capability.  They can be accomplished only by
>explicitly changing preference variables.  For that reason, a
 dictionary of such variables would be useful.

There are all.js, browser.js, mailnews.js etc. which contain valuable
information, even with comments. But not for all Prefs, some must be
searched in the source.

It would be nice, to have a compendium, yes. But someone has to write it
and the time of the devels is limited. There is a huge amount of bugs
which needs fixing.

Hartmut