Leonidas Jones wrote:
Jim wrote:
I'm extremely disappointed in Seamonkey 2.0.  The mail program bugs
are too severe to warrant continued use.  I've come to expect better
from Mozilla releases.  I didn't use Firefox or Thunderbird because I
didn't like the "feel" and they weren't integrated as a suite.  Now
Seamonkey has lost it's original feel. Things that I liked about
Seamonkey are gone (quick launch, quick mail filter 'clear' button).

I've reported two or three of the glaring problems (folder listings
disappearing, compact related issues). Until the major bugs are fixed,
I'll stick with version 1.18.

I really do understand your frustration. To be completely honest with you, you can certainly return to 1.1.18. But you do have to realize that you are sticking with a complete dead end.

You can do that. Heck there are people out there still running the last version of the Mozilla suite, Netscape 7.2, even a few still trying to get Communicator to work. The older the abandoned product gets, the less functional it becomes.

For a good while, probably quite a while, 1.1.18 will continue to work, and work quite well. But the days are numbered and the clock is ticking. I doubt that you will see any security updates for the 1.1 line.

If you value the suite approach, and if you want to have a product that is going to carry you into the future with any certainty, making 2.0 work is the only real way to go.

The only other real option is to go Firefox/Thunderbird. Its a good option, but I am willing to bet that you will have just as much conversion problems going that route as you will staying with SeaMonkey.

I am sorry this has been so difficult for you.

Lee

Lee,

You are making valid points, but one or two more need to be made.

Users who are not eager to experiment with .0 products are wise to stay with the product they are using today *until* the most obvious bugs are ironed out in the next release. This has always been true, and still is today.

Personally, I like to keep a middle road, sticking to the previous version of a software while experimenting with a new one. Very seldom do I feel I *need* to switch to a new version. I usually wait to do the switch until, and only until, the new version does at least for me as much as the previous version. I do not move up if doing so means losing some features I find really useful and not being able to replace them by a satisfactory equivalent.

In SM 2.0 case, bugs set aside, this means waiting until new add-ons are developed specifically for this version.

Knowing the product will not go any further does not matter to me as long as it does the job. And since the best software always have their shares of security holes, new ones showing up as fast as old ones are plugged, I'd rather trust my combination of hardware and software firewall and a good antivirus.

I believe that the SM project deserves all the help it can get from its users, and remaining on the sidelines without contributing by pointing out problems, in a non-aggressive manner, is not very productive. The other side of the coin is, developers, although they may feel unduly criticized sometimes, and I can sympathize, should make sure the merits of remarks are duly examined, in an open-minded manner.

--
John Doue