Mark Hansen wrote:
On 11/4/2009 1:32 PM, Ken Rudolph wrote:
NoOp wrote:
On 11/04/2009 11:50 AM, Ken Rudolph wrote:
Win-XP 3rd. SM 2.0

OK, here's a strange one. I've even had an e-mail exchange with the
site and received really weird advice, more about that below.

The site is http://www.puzzability.com/puzzles/index.shtml . When I
click on any of the java encoded puzzles (for instance Common
Knowledge) java fails to work giving an error message "Error. Click
for details" with a lot of gobbledegook which means nothing to me.
This even after reloading the most current version of java for
Mozilla. The same exact thing happens with Firefox and Google
Chrome. The site does work fine in IE 7.0, however. But, and
here's the strange thing, when I finally figured out how to add
Coral IETab to SM 2.0 and used it, it still doesn't work with SM
2.0: it doesn't give the same java error message; but the java logo
just keeps spinning and nothing happens.

I contacted the support person at the site and she wrote me that
they were sorry about this; but a possible workaround that "works
for others" was IE Tab. Haha.

Anybody else noticing this? Any ideas?

Send them this:
Java Plug-in 1.6.0_16
load: class commonknowledge.class not found.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: commonknowledge.class
at
sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2ClassLoader.findClass(Applet2ClassLoader.java:152)

at
sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadCode(Plugin2ClassLoader.java:445)

at
sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager.createApplet(Plugin2Manager.java:2880)
at
sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Plugin2Manager.java:1397)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: open HTTP connection
failed:http://www.puzzability.com/cgi-bin/commonknowledge/class.class
at
sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2ClassLoader.getBytes(Applet2ClassLoader.java:460)

at
sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2ClassLoader.access$000(Applet2ClassLoader.java:46)

at
sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2ClassLoader$1.run(Applet2ClassLoader.java:126)
at
sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2ClassLoader.findClass(Applet2ClassLoader.java:123)

... 6 more
Exception: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: commonknowledge.class

I did. It didn't do any good. But I have a feeling that the lady who
responded is not their tech person...but it was the only contact I
had. Can anybody understand what this error message actually *means*?
Is it a flaw in their programing? One that they could repair if they
wanted to? I'm obviously not getting anyplace.

Yes, it's an error in their application. The application needs to be
able to find all the classes (runtime application objects) that it
requires to run the application. It can't find the one called:
commonknowledge.class.

This means either the class is missing from the applet package, or
the application manifest doesn't include a viable Class Path (the
path used by the application to locate class objects).

What happens if you spoof a Firefox user agent identity?

I *am* spoofing NOT Firefox 3.5, which seems to work for most applications. Anyway, the puzzles on this site don't work in Firefox itself *or* Google Chrome. It doesn't work in SM 2.0 with the "experimental" IE Tab feature. It *only* works in IE itself. I can't test it with SM 1.1.18 because I've discarded it. But, as you say...

Note that I'm still running 1.1.X here, and the puzzles work for
me, so I can't test that.

Well, yes, I never had a problem before with SM 1.1.18 or prior versions. So why now?

Good luck.

I suspect luck has little to do with it. And since the site doesn't seem to care (in other words not enough people are complaining) I guess I'll just have to give up my daily puzzle fix. I'll get over it. I'm certainly not going to load IE just for this.

--
Ken Rudolph