Leonidas Jones wrote:
Walter wrote:
Where in preferences or elsewhere do I tell SeaMonkey which program to
use in opening a particular kind of file, i.e. .jpg, exe, doc, tef, ? I
have tried the setting in preferences/helper applications but it makes
no difference.

w.

sm 1.1.18 win xp, sp3

I am assumong that it not behaves as Firefox does. You can edit existing entries, but you cannot add them. Rather, the first time an unknown file type is encountered, you make a selection which is added to the list.

Do I understand that you have tried to edit an existing entry, but the setting doesn't stick? If so, try setting the file type in question to always ask, then navigate to such a file type and set it that way.

Lee

To all who posted a reply to my query:

Please read again my original post, quoted above.

Example: When I click on a link to a .pdf file, SM knows it is a .pdf file and calls Adobe Reader to read the file. I want SM to recognize a .tef file and call tabledit to read the file. Where is the setting to do this? It is not in edit/preferences/helper applications as I have the .tef files identified there as: application/tef and file type details as: open these files with tabledit.exe

This is as clear as I can describe the problem.  All suggestions welcome.

Walter.