On 09-11-07 5:37 PM, OldTimer wrote:
I have Netscape 4.5 on an old IBM PC with Win 95 and I want to transfer
the Mail messages, Inbox, Mail folders & the Address Book to an HP
laptop with Win XP Home SP2 and Seamonkey 2.0 (which already has mail,
folders and address book set up).

With help from references supplied by Martin I have completed the
following steps:

As the old PC only has a floppy drive (A:), I have exported the address
book (LDIF) to a floppy disc by the following steps: Opened Netscape and
clicked on "Address Book", selected the address book and from the File
menu I chose "Export". In the "Export As" window, I typed a file name
and exported it to the floppy drive (A:).

For the mail files, I went to C:\Program Files\Netscape\Users\ and
opened User1 & User2 folders and copied the Inbox.sbd, Inbox, Sent,
Unsent Messages, & Draft files (not .msf) to the floppy disc. Where
there was any duplication of file names with those on the laptop, I
renamed them (eg. InboxOld1, xxxOld2).

I then zipped the mail files on the floppy to a zip folder and copied it
and the Address Book to a CD-RW disc (the laptop does not have a floppy
drive).

I now intend to open the compressed files on the CD with the laptop and
copy them into the equivilant folders/files in my Profiles folder
(abook.mab, Inbox, Sent, etc.).

I hope this all makes sense as I would appreciate some feedback before I
proceed, to assure me that I'm on the right track and have taken the
right steps so far.

Trying to install Netscape 7, then transfer files seems to be more trouble than it is worth. The instructions for mail and address books at <http://seamonkey.ilias.ca/profilefaq/#from4> should work for SeaMonkey 2. Just create the mail accounts first, then replace the newly created files, with the backups.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Keeper of the Knowledge Base: <https://support.mozilla.com/kb/>