Well, in WinXP it's under C:\WINNT\Fonts\ (too obvious?), but if the problem is that SM is trying to read a file it should refer to a different program, fixing a putative font issue won't help. As Walter said earlier, it should be calling TablEdit, not trying to open the file itself.

After a good deal of experimentation and analyzing I have come to the conclusion that: indeed SM calls TE which reads the file but it does not know where the font is to translate the data correctly, thus does the best it can to display the data it can, using regular font, i. e. the text in the file. I have copied the TE font to the TE program file(s) but so far have not found the correct one. The TE fonts are in the Windows font file so that is not the problem.

Strangely, when I download .tef files from other sites, TE works OK. This leads me to believe there is something lost in translation to/from the

http://everythingdulcimer.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=178&Itemid=142

files. This continues to be a challenging situation and I appreciate all the help and suggestions from other interested people. Should I ever find a solution, I will try to remember to post it here.

w.