For all of the changes to Seamonkey they are dwarfed by the changes in Thunderbird.

On 12/15/2009 8:10 PM, Rufus wrote:
hawker wrote:
So I just got to wondering if most of us Seamonkey people are just
Netscape hold ons that are not comfortable with the
FireFox/Thunderbird interface for whatever reason?

Anyone out there a Seamonkey user who was not a Netscape users?
As for me I started on Netscape 1.x though 4.6x then skipped to
Netscape 7.x (6.x never worked well for me), on to Mozilla Suite and
then Seamonkey. Firefox/Thunderbird never felt comfortable to me since
I knew Netscape better and so I stay here with Seamonkey.

I'm asking all this because I'm currently questing why I am staying on
Seamonkey. I like a few things about it over Firefox/Thunderbird but
with 2.0 out and many extensions broken or no longer supporting
Seamonkey - all of which still work in Firefox I'm questing why I'm so
resistant to go over th Firefox. Seamonkey just isn't getting the
support it did when it was still Mozilla Suite unfortunately (a fact I
don't want to accept).

I'm also still, on some computers, still a Eudora user even though
that program, with all that is great about it, is getting almost to
the point of unusable with poor current standards support. So perhaps
I'm just an anachronism wishing still for the days of 110baud teletype
BBSs again ;)

Anyone want to wax philosophical about this?

Hawker

I stay with it mainly for it's user configurable security features, and
the fact that I like it for it's integrated browser/mail/usenet suite -
it's convenient.

But like yourself, I'm beginning to question my loyalty to it -
particularly in light of the random changes to the interface which
either deny me the utility I once praised, eliminate it entirely, or
confuse me as to it's current state after it's alleged "upgrade".

There are a number of enterprise customers I support which still hang
onto NS (in place of IE) in some situations because of some of that
aforementioned configurability and functionality that I have personally
been trying to get to look at Seamonkey (for it's comparable certificate
handling, strong 128 bit encryption, cookie management, etc.) as an
update/upgrade...but I'm not really sure I should continue to do that at
this point.

Some of those customers are now using Firefox in place of NS, but that
doesn't really get me what I desire - these customers generally use MS
Outlook, and so the suite concept doesn't sell with them. The lack of
status information in the dialog boxes regarding the aforementioned
attributes is certainly not reassuring to such customers...and then
there's those stupid tiny buttons...and that's just two starting points
of departure when it comes to addressing an enterprise user base...

I may start paying more attention the Firefox/Thunderbird solution
myself...I've been tinkering with TB 3.0 and so far I'm far more pleased
with it than I have been with SM 2.0. If Firefox offers the control I
like(d) in SM, I may just switch. If it's good enough for corporations,
it's probably good enough for me.