hawker wrote:
So I just got to wondering if most of us Seamonkey people are just
Netscape hold ons that are not comfortable with the FireFox/Thunderbird
interface for whatever reason?

Anyone out there a Seamonkey user who was not a Netscape users?
As for me I started on Netscape 1.x though 4.6x then skipped to Netscape
7.x (6.x never worked well for me), on to Mozilla Suite and then
Seamonkey. Firefox/Thunderbird never felt comfortable to me since I knew
Netscape better and so I stay here with Seamonkey.

I'm asking all this because I'm currently questing why I am staying on
Seamonkey. I like a few things about it over Firefox/Thunderbird but
with 2.0 out and many extensions broken or no longer supporting
Seamonkey - all of which still work in Firefox I'm questing why I'm so
resistant to go over th Firefox. Seamonkey just isn't getting the
support it did when it was still Mozilla Suite unfortunately (a fact I
don't want to accept).

I'm also still, on some computers, still a Eudora user even though that
program, with all that is great about it, is getting almost to the point
of unusable with poor current standards support. So perhaps I'm just an
anachronism wishing still for the days of 110baud teletype BBSs again ;)

Anyone want to wax philosophical about this?

Hawker

One of the great advantages of the suite approach is in the use of portable applications. Anyone who has used portable versions on Thunderbird and Firefox will have experienced the lack of interoperability. A link in TB will call up the host computer's default browser, a mailto in FF will call up the host's mail application.

Portable SeaMonkey, available from portableapps.com, solves this problem. Since the suite is linked, a link in Mail/News calls the browser, and vice versa.

I had to spin my own portable SM for Mac, but it works great. As portable applications become more popular, the suite approach can find a real niche.

Lee