On 01/07/2010 01:49 PM, Danny Kile wrote:
> Danny Kile wrote:
>> When opening an attached file in an e-mail when the file type is a WMV.
>> I receive the following error.
>>
>> "There is a problem with the URL or file you are trying to open or play.
>> If you are trying to open an URL, the URL may not be valid. If you
>> are trying to play a file, the file type is not recognized by Windows
>> Media Player, but the Player may still be able to play the file.
>> However, you should only play files from a trustworthy source."
>>
>> Do you want the Player to try to play this content? Yes/No
>>
>> Answering YES then gives the following error message.
>>
>> "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the specified
>> protocol is not supported. If you typed a URL in the Open URL
>> dialog box, trying using a different transport protocol (for
>> example, "http:" or "rtsp:").
>>
>> I close this dialog box and nothing plays. However, I can save the file
>> and then open it with Media Player with no problems whatsoever.
>>
>> Does anyone have a resolution to this problem? Thank you in advance!
>>
>> Danny,
>
> Doesn't anyone have a resolution to this problem? Thank you in advance!

In linux I just resolved this for a friend by having him:

<quote>
Edit|Preferences|Browser|Helper Applications|search 'wmv' and then use:
Use Movie Player (default). You can then right click on the wmv
attachment & select 'Open' and it will automatically open Movie Player &
play the video. When finished you're back to your email pane.
</quote>

Perhaps you can do similar for Windows?