Interviewed by CNN on 27/3/2010 22:26, Cecil Bankston told the world:
> My Avast antivirus suite keeps showing a message that says I should
> disable SSL & TLS in my e-mail client so it can scan the incoming
> messages.  I didn't see any obvious way to disable those security
> functions only in Seamonkey e-mail, as the preferences settings appear
> to apply to both browser & e-mail.  Is following Avast's advice possible
> and if so is it advisable?

I'm using the new Avast 5 too, and I have seen those messages. It
perhaps could be a bit clearer, but it indeed is feasible.

You have to disable TLS/STARTTLS/SSL in each e-mail server
configuration, in the "Server Settings" page.

For instance, if you use Gmail, it demands you set up connection
security as follows (Gmail dos not allow unencrypted connections):

IMAP -- SSL/TLS on port 993
POP3 -- SSL/TLS on port 995
SMTP -- SSL on port 465, or TLS/STARTTLS on port 587

Other ISPs exact settings may be slightly different. Some accept
STARTTLS in the same port as the regular (unencrypted) connection.

The purpose of all this is to ensure all communication between your mail
program and the mail server is encrypted, and therefore safe from
eavesdroppers. But there is one problem: your antivirus can't check
messages in transit either, and therefore is unable to block
virus-carrying messages before the program receives them.

What Avast proposes is that you turn off the encryption option in the
e-mail program and let *it* handle the encrypted connection with the
mail server. When Seamonkey tries to access a mail server, Avast will
interpose itself in the data flow. The communication between Seamonkey
and Avast is in clear, while the communication between Avast and Gmail
(or whatever is your mail provider) will be encrypted.

Avast is pretty smart about setting itself up, too. When you open an
encrypted channel to a mail provider, Avast will notice it can't check
the messages and pop up that warning -- but at the same time, it will
take note of the security settings for that particular server.
So, if you turn off the "connection security" for that server, the next
time you attempt to download e-mail Avast will remember those settings
and take care of the encryption for you.

If you ever need to hand-tweak those settings, you can find them in
Avast under the "Real-Time Shields/Mail Shield/Expert Settings/SSL
accounts." You have both encrypted and unencrypted accounts, you may
notice that the unencrypted servers are also listed there, with security
set as "none." That's normal.

--
MCBastos

use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.