On 3/29/10 7:17 PM, Rufus wrote:
> chicagofan wrote:
>> David E. Ross wrote:

>>> 1. Locate your profile directory.
>>>
>>> 2. In in the profile directory, open the folder named News.
>>>
>>> 3. For each news server (not newsgroup) account, you will see two
>>> files, named according to the account or the news server. One has the
>>> extension .rc; the other has .msf. In a text editor, open the .rc file
>>> for the account where you want to rearrange the newsgroups.
>>>
>>> 4. Set the viewing options NOT to wrap long lines.
>>>
>>> 5. Using cut and paste, move each line -- representing a newsgroup --
>>> into the order you want.
>>>
>>> 6. Save and close the file.
>>>
>>> There might already be a bug report requesting a more user-friendly way
>>> to do this. Don't hold your breath waiting for it to be implemented.
>>>

>> How much more "user friendly" can it get, than allowing you to drag and
>> drop the newsgroups when the mail/ng reader is open? :)
>>
>> What O/S and versions of SM won't do this now? This has been possible
>> for me in the last several 2.0 releases.
>> bj
>
> Me too...
>
> ...one thing that TB 3.x will do is allow the user to highlight multiple
> subscriptions, right click, and perform contextual menu operations on
> the multiple selection - like declaring all read at once.
>
> That's a "user friendly" feature...sure hope it gets ported into SM.

I'm sorry.  I was not tracking the bug report.  Apparently, it was
already implemented in Thunderbird.  Hooray!

I don't know about this in SeaMonkey.  I don't use SeaMonkey's mail/news
capabilities because I don't want to lose my current newsgroup session
when I switch browser profiles, which I do often.  (Or is that addressed
in SeaMonkey 2?)

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>