Interviewed by CNN on 19/4/2010 13:20, Paul B. Gallagher told the world:

> The only way Google's 7 GB limit applies is if you're storing your
> messages on their server, right? Are we talking about IMAP, or what?
>
> If you could move the messages to your local HDD, you should be free to
> store as many as you like for as long as you like, and Big Brother won't
> care.

Actually, Gmail changes, bends or even ignores much of the rules of how
POP and IMAP servers should behave.

For instance, when you use POP, the usual behavior is to delete the
messages from the server after downloading. Gmail solemnly ignores that
-- it won't delete the messages no matter what your client's settings,
it will just hide them from the POP client. Or at least that was the
behavior last time I tested it for POP.

I didn't test the IMAP behavior at depth, but I wouldn't be surprised if
the user needs to lon on to the Web interface to be able to actually
delete those messages.

--
MCBastos

use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.