chicagofan wrote:

How do I determine why I can't see the pictures in a slide show at the link below? I mean, how can I determine what app I need, or have that isn't working... or just what the problem is?

At this link [below], I was trying to look at the picture link, down on the left side of the page. It's above the video, which plays just fine.

<http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2010/05/02/nyregion/20100502_TIMESSQUARE.html>

TIA... for any advice...

When I right-click on the first slide and choose "Properties," I get:
Location:       http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/misc/pixel.gif
Width:          600px
Height:         451px
Size of file:   0.04 KB (43 bytes)
Alternate text: Missing

However, when I paste that URL into another window and try to view it, it turns out it's just a 1x1 dot. Same thing if I right-click and choose "View Image."

On the other hand, by examining the page source code, I identified this JPEG as the image they're hiding:
<http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/05/02/nyregion/20100502_TIMESSQUARE-slide-M2HN/20100502_TIMESSQUARE-slide-M2HN-slide.jpg>

Apparently they're displaying it as a "background," with a transparent GIF in front of it to prevent you from figuring out where it is. Do you have backgrounds disabled?

Now it's my turn. Video? What video?

Paul B. Gallagher