Is this the place to bring up the issue of the defective HTML composer
in the Mail program?
Seamonkey 1x and Mozilla Suite and Netscape always handled selected
default fonts solidly.
SeaMonkey 2x adopted the Thunderbird trunk and now has a defective
composer that reverts
to variable width small fonts at the slightest perturbation of the
type stream.
Thunderbird made this error sometime after creating the ToolKit code
that cannot interact with
the better code from the old SeaMonkey. Everyone says it's tough to go
back and fix the problem,
but I wonder how many iterations have come and gone in the meantime.
How did this make it
out of Beta? Is it really so hard to fix? Is there any plan to put the
CSS code in place eventually
so that we have a modern Mail program to be proud of? This defect is
quite jarring to those of
us coming to it from SeaMonkey. Get used to it is not a nice
suggestion.
I have already aired this elsewhere on Mozillazine forums to the point
of arousing hostility from
moderators. So far, no one responsible for writing the code and
responsible for adopting
Thunderbird for SeaMonkey code has come forward with their perspective
on the matter.
There are many things better than the old 1x, besides the easier
ToolKit code for developers.
The crash recovery is admirable, for instance. But this font silliness
is just a killer of some of us.
Many gave up quietly and went elsewhere...