I got an email from Comcast yesterday that reads in part
'.............Customer Security Assurance Notice

Dear Comcast Customer:

Action Taken:
In an effort to help prevent spam and ensure the security of our
network and customers, Comcast has modified your modem’s settings to
prevent the sending of email on port 25. That is the default port
email programs such as Outlook Express use to send email. We’ve taken
this action because we may have detected virus-like activity from your
modem or received reports from other email providers that mail from
your modem generated complaints from their users. Please read this
message to understand how this action may impact your ability to send
email and what you should do next.

Comcast Webmail Users:
If you use a web browser to access your Comcast.net email, this action
will not affect your ability to send or receive e-mail. This action
also does not affect any non-Comcast webmail services.

Email Program Users (Outlook Express, Outlook, MacMail, etc.):
If you use an email program, this action will disable your program’s
ability to send email until you change your email program settings to
send email on port 587. Port 587 uses authentication and is an
industry-recommended alternative to port 25. If you use Outlook
Express and Comcast.net email, Comcast has provided a simple one click
fix for you to use with Internet Explorer. If you use another email
program such as MacMail, Eudora, or Thunderbird, please visit our
client page for information on how to change the settings for sending
email in your email program.

If you are not using Comcast.net email and use another email provider,
please contact your provider for its recommended port settings. Most
email providers offer an alternative to port 25 for sending

I reset the port to the suggested 587, but, it did not work.  Any
suggestions??  I am confused.

MikeyM
bein...@comcast.net