Beverly Howard wrote:
 >> any one know what is wrong with my settings  <<

I would guess that the email account is set to "empty trash on exit"

edit/mail&news.../<account>/server/empty...

Beverly Howard

but, Beverly, emptying Trash does not, normally, remove the email totally from the inbox file.

When an email is moved from the inbox to the trash file, the message still exists in the inbox, but part of its header is changed from a zero to a one, or vice versa, and it becomes invisible in the inbox. It is only when trash is empty and *File->Compact Folders* is done that the email is really deleted.

If Smiles opens his inbox file (without extension) in Notepad or similar, he should see a listing of all his "deleted" mail, well at least the stuff he has deleted since he last compacted his mail folders.

HTH

Daniel