Sun, 31 Oct 2010 12:31:37 -0500, /JohnW-Mpls/:

For years, all phone numbers had hyphen separators (212-555-1212) but
use of the dot separator (212.555.1212) seems to be growing.

Any advantage of one over the other?

What I've seen as mostly recommended and widely used in examples is that "only spaces should be used to visually separate groups of numbers", e.g. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.123>:

E.123 specifically recommends that:

    * only spaces be used to visually separate groups of numbers
"unless an agreed upon explicit symbol (e.g. hyphen) is necessary
for procedural purposes" in national notation.
    * only spaces should be used to visually separate groups of
numbers in international notation.

I've also been used to the hypen separator, but I find myself using a space more often, in the last years. I almost haven't seen the dot separator used, may be it is more widely spread in the US (as opposed to Europe, for example)?

--
Stanimir