Ray_Net wrote:
James wrote:
Ray_Net wrote:
Stéphane Grégoire wrote:
Hi,

JohnW-Mpls a tapoté, le 31/10/2010 18:31:
Wrong venue for this subject but people here represent a variety of viewpoints and more important, think about details like this.

For years, all phone numbers had hyphen separators (212-555-1212) but use of the dot separator (212.555.1212) seems to be growing.

Any advantage of one over the other?

In France this number will often will be write like this :

21 25 55 12 12

And in belgium like:

in local 02/234.45.56 or O61/14.23.35 for international +32 2 234.45.56 or +32 61 14.23.35

Why speaking of phone number in mozilla.support.seamonkey?

This is a mysterious deviation :-)
How do you format telephone numbers in SeaMonkey? How would you prefer telephone numbers to be formatted? Should there be a way to set up personal variations that can be translated into other user's favorite format? How are others doing it? Etc. In other words, this is a legitimate variation.

Too complicated to format something when we see a difference between belgium and france ... 2 adjacents nations :-) Let everybody format their phone number as he want ... because if a have a belgian contact, i will format it as belgium does, if it's a french contact, i will format it as france does, and if a have a contact from USA the first part(00 1) will be formatted as i do in belgium followed by the US format. So i repeat ... in SM let people type what he want.
It really does not matter how you format it. The numbers must be entered into the system in a specific order so when I call the UK, I dial 44nnnnnnnnnn and do not need any special characters, in fact, the special characters just get in the way. I am waiting to see if the telephone system is going to go hexadecimal. That should make it interesting. A major expansion of the dialable numbers with no increase in the number of characters to be dialed.