On 1/12/11 5:36 PM, John wrote:
> John wrote:
>> David E. Ross wrote:

>>> With your message selected in Thunderbird, I selected [View> Message
>>> Source] from the menu bar. I saw the header field:
>>>
>>> 72.95.161.200 is the IP address for the unregistered domain
>>> [namepool-72-95-161-200.pitbpa.east.verizon.net]. I'm guessing that you
>>> have a broadband connection to the Internet through Verizon. Although
>>> IP addresses for such connections might be dynamic, they really do not
>>> change often. (I've been unsuccessully trying to change mine for a
>>> week.) If you run IP Chicken at<http://www.ipchicken.com/>, I think
>>> you will see 72.95.161.200 is your own external IP address.
>>>
>>> Thus, I could create a filter to block your messages by creating a
>>> custom header for NNTP-Posting-Host and filtering on the value
>>> 72.95.161.200.
>>>

>> That sounds great but in what category do you put the NNTP posting host?
>> Seamonkey has a custom setting but when clicked on it just asks for a
>> 'New Message Header'. What do I put in this box and what is added to the
>> larger entry box below it?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> John
>

> I found the answer in the help section, I was looking under general help
> and didn't find it.
>
> One question though, the example below is someone I would like to block
> in a different newsgroup but the address looks odd:

> Is this some sort of work around to what you suggested or just typical
> of aioe?
>
> Thanks,
> John

They're using a domain rather than an IP address.  It's not a registered
domain, so it must be internal to aioe.org.  A domain like that is often
used for a broadband connection.  Since aioe.org is not an ISP, however,
the domain is not for a broadband connection.  It thus is likely a
temporary domain, possibly for a single use.  I would filter on
"contains" (second term in the filter) and "aioe.org" (third term).

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

On occasion, I might filter and ignore all newsgroup messages
posted through GoogleGroups via Google's G2/1.0 user agent
because of spam from that source.