Paul

I just went to account settings and made changes in handling Junk messages. Thanks.

Louis

Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
John wrote:

Louis Paul Toscano wrote:
I am running Seamonkey on Windows 7 64-bit, having been use to
Thunderbird. How do I get my Junk email messages to go directly into my
Junk folder without my having to send them there?

In a mail and news group window:

Edit/ Preferences/ Mail & Newsgroups/ Junk & Suspect Mail

Check: "When I mark a message as junk'

Check: 'Move them to the accounts "Junk" folder'

Be sure and use File/Exit to close Seamonkey for the changes to take
effect. Closing with the X at the top right of a window doesn't work in
my experience.

I won't argue with this, but I haven't noticed the issue you describe.

Unless its very obvious (same sender) it may take a period of time for
Seamonkey to learn what is new incoming junk but it does work.

Once you have set up the above any remaining junk in your inbox on a
restart should automatically go to the junk folder.

Also note that you can set it to automatically mark messages as read if you manually mark them as junk. In the same dialog:

Mark messages as read:
( ) When SeaMonkey determines that they are junk
(•) When I manually mark them as junk

This is useful if you periodically review junk -- you don't have to bother looking at messages marked as read (they can only be "read" if you've manually marked them as junk or marked them as read during your review process). You can see those few "unread" messages that need review at a glance instead of plowing through all of them.

See also under Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings | Junk Settings for each of your accounts. There are several useful settings there, including "Automatically delete junk mail older than nn days." You want to be sure to enable "Enable adaptive junk mail controls for this account" or SeaMonkey won't learn from your markings.