David E. Ross wrote:
On 2/11/11 12:06 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
On 2/11/11 10:24 AM, Michael Gordon wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
I've been trying to download the installer file for Flash Player
10.2.152.26.  I get the File Save selection window to indicate where to
place the file.  Then I get a progress popup that says the download was
cancelled.  I select the small retry button (the button with the
circular arrow).  I see that something appears to download, but when I
go to the destination folder, the file has 0 size.

I've tried this with other installer executables.  I get the same result
with them.  I've also tried using Save Link Target As (which is not
available for Flash Player) and get the same result.

I've tried this with non-executable files, and have no problems with
them.  It appears that SeaMonkey or the Download Manager is blocking
files with the .exe file-extension.

Trying all this while running SeaMonkey in safe mode does not help.

Is this a known bug?

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.16)
Gecko/20101123 SeaMonkey/2.0.11

David, it looks to me like an Anti-virus/Firewall may be blocking the
download of .exe files.  Try changing the extension to something benign
like .der and then change it back after the file downloads.

Once you change the extension back to .exe it should install with no
problems.

Michael

It's NOT my anti-virus software (AVG Anti-Virus 2011 (10.0.1204),
freeware version).  I disabled it, but the problem still occurred.

It's NOT the Windows firewall in Windows XP SP3.  I disabled it, but the
problem still occurred.

It's NOT the firewall in my Netgear router.  I disabled it, but the
problem still occurred.

No, I did not disable all of them at the same time.  I made three
separate attempts to download the Flash Player installer file, each time
with something else disabled.

Since the problem still exists when running SeaMonkey in safe mode, the
problem is not caused by any extension.  Thus, I believe the problem is
within SeaMonkey or the Download Manager.

By the way, I successfully downloaded the Flash Player installer by
changing the file extension to .pdf in the File Save selection window
and then changing it back to .exe after it was downloaded.

I had to change the file's properties to Unblock before it could be
executed to install the new version 10.2 r152 (10.2.152.26) of Flash
Player.  This was the first time I found a blocked executable.

David,

I am glad you were able to download and install your Flash Player Plug In.

I do not know of anything in SeaMonkey that would block the download of any file type. This may be the action of a late model Windows Operating System, something outside the Windows Firewall.

The key here was to change the file extension at the Save As point, keep this in mind for other teletypes that will not download; such as, .zip

Michael