Phillip Jones wrote:
WLS wrote:
Phillip Jones wrote:
Ed Mullen wrote:
Leroy Tennison wrote:
I'm running into a problem with other HTML editors where they
automatically do "helpful" things "for me" which are contrary to
what I
want and actually harmful to the final result. One example is
converting
the ASP indicators to something unrecognizable which results in the
ASP
code being interpreted as regular HTML. Another example is adding the
implementation when used as an<iframe> target. I realize that
frames in
general is depreciated but this is the issue I'm trying to avoid -
having someone else decide what's good for me and making automatic
modifications to what I write to enforce it.

Does Seamonkey's HTML Editor make these kinds of changes to HTML which
is saved or require them in order to save the file? If so, is there a
way to disable those kinds of modifications so that what I finally
save
consists only of modifications I make? I'm not talking about generated
HTML for explicit actions I take (such as creating or modifying a
table), I'm talking about modifications which are "made for me"
without
my knowledge.

Thanks for any feedback.

Every WYSIWYG HTML editor makes such suggestions/changes. And every one
of them creates dubious code. Some of them create horrible code.

The only - ONLY - answer is to learn HTML and CSS and use a plain-text
editor to write your pages.

Every page on my sites is done this way.

Then you validate:

http://validator.w3.org/

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

Then you correct.

Then you (hopefully) have a good site.

The one exception is DreamWeaver, which allows WYSIWYG editing plus it
allows editing a code level. Even has a built-in Validator, and if your
using proper html method the code even pass w3c. It’s a good tool for
neophytes,& down in the trenches veterans as well. you can Choose view
code only, WYSIWYG or a Combination. the dual display is effective to
see what your code you just added did.

A bit of a cost difference between DreamWeaver and Composer.

DreamWeaver: $399.00
Composer: Free
Text Editor: Free

The OP could try the industry's leading free web application IDE, Aptana
Studio (comes with a free DreamWeaver trial).

http://www.aptana.com/

WLS

I never said it was inexpensive. Among some of the other things it will
do beside html is: PHP, ASPX, CSS, JavaScript.

Because you can switch the WYSIWYG editor off, if you want to type in
every little bit of code yourself.

Aptana Studio does the same and is free.

WLS

--
openSUSE 11.3(x86_64) - Gnome2.30 - SeaMonkey 2.1b3pre