I would *love* to see this feature added to SM. I've asked this question before myself, and I think I got an answer back that it was "on the SM road map", but I can't recall for sure.

Having Mail be able to open in a tab within the Browser window is *the* way to go, particularly on a laptop - saves a lot of screen real estate. And on a Mac with Spaces I could just open SM full screen in it's own virtual desktop space and have a better view.

One window, many choices...yeah, Opera got that one right. Laptop users dream come true, IMO.

--
     - Rufus

Viliam Kubis wrote:
That's a matter of perspective. Sure the email client is somethig
completely different than a web page in a browser tab, but I think I'm
not the only one who would like to have their email client in a new tab
right next to their open webpages. I, for my self, am used to tabbed
browsing in such an extent that when I receive a new email in seamonkey
I go:

- ok, now, where's that webpage I want to copy something from? Oh, it's
in a new window. Ok, click there. Now click on the webpage's tab.
Information copied.
- now where's that email I am writing? I see, different window again.
Switch & paste.

That's just my personal habits, and of course it requires only a little
of concentration to realise that the email is actually in a different
window, but when you try to do things fast and you do not have a lot of
time, you rely on your personal habits, preferences and experiences to
perform specific actions to complete your task. So many times that I
work in seamonkey and have 15 tabs open, I spend a couple of seconds
looking at them and searching for "that email tab" before realising
"aha, it's a different window".

I would not be asking to implement this "out of the blue", but seeing
that entering chrome://messenger/content/messenger.xul in the address
bar in a new tab actually opens the email client that partially *works*,
but crashes upon many common actions, made me thinking that maybe it's
not that difficult to implement from the development perspective / in
terms of code. Maybe there are few places in the code of the messenger
that rely on "i'm sure i'm in a window, so call it's xxx method /
perform action x". Of course I have never seen mozilla rendering engine
and/or any part of the seamonkey code, so that's why I would like to
hear some pros and cons of the concept, in terms of code / development
costs and not personal preferences whether this feature is practical or
not.

I realise that there are many more important goals in the seamonkey
project than this one, but it's just a feature request that I think many
people (including me) would find convenient.

Thank you

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 00:12:47 +0200, Ray_Net