On 04/22/2011 05:16 PM, MCBastos wrote:
> Interviewed by CNN on 22/04/2011 17:58, Robert Kaiser told the world:
>
>> Interesting, as AFAIK all Core architecture chips support EM64T - could
>> be that it's only Core2 though and Apple shipped some of the older
>> "crap" that was called "Core" but wasn't actually a new architecture at
>> all (and I know for sure that Core2 has EM64T).
>
> That's right. The first generation of Intel Core CPUs was actually based
> on an enhanced P6 (Pentium Pro/II/III) architecture codenamed "Yonah",
> which was 32-bit only. Some of the early "Pentium Dual-Core" were also
> P6-based.
>
> The new "Core" architecture debuted only on the Core 2. AFAIK, it's an
> evolution of the Yonah with, among other things, 64-bit extensions
> added. So it's still a descendant of the venerable Pentium Pro.
>
> Although Intel had a really, really confusing policy for a while, in
> which it was hard to guess if a given CPU was 64-bit capable, had
> hardware virtualization and other stuff -- they disabled features from
> some chips aiming for market segmentation. So I wouldn't swear that all
> Core 2 and later are actually 64-bit capable, because some of them may
> have this feature disabled.

I've run across this when attempting to install a 64bit virtual machine
in VMWare. They've a pretty good article on this at:
http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003945
Turns out that the 64bit laptop that I bought awhile back for 64bit
testing with a 'Pentium Dual-Core CPU T4300 doesn't support VT (it does
support EM64T). Really pissed me off, so next time I'll check all of the
CPU specs before buying another laptop/desktop.
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37253