Interviewed by CNN on 04/05/2011 22:37, Whosoever told the world:

> By the way, that was Thunderbird 3.0.11 that connects to Gmail/IMAP
> just fine. Thunderbird 3.1.9 seems to have the same problem.

Check encryption settings. Older versions of Mozilla e-mail clients used
to fall back to "no encryption" if the server does not support it. Newer
versions DO NOT do it -- I guess it's part of some sort of security
tightening.

Bottom line, if you are trying some encryption scheme that Gmail does
not support, it may work in the old versions but won't work in the new
versions. I remember having to do a bit of a trial-and-error with the
settings until I figured out.

These are the settings I use:

Username: <username>@gmail.com
IMAP: imap.gmail.com - SSL (port 993)
POP: pop.gmail.com - SSL (port 995)

smtp: smtp.gmail.com - SSL (port 465) or TLS/STARTTLS (port 587) - user
authentication needed

--
MCBastos

use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.