Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
Wed, 04 May 2011 02:18:39 -0400, /Paul B. Gallagher/:

Still, outside of a tech-support context, pruning is a good practice
regardless of your other choices. There's generally no need to
retain the entire thread in every message, it just becomes needless
clutter.

Such style of communication is not limited to tech-support, but with other businesses, also. I've ever dreamed of Mozilla implementing additional option "Automatically attach the original message when replying" with appropriate attachment name (e.g. "Original Message"). This way one could strip/prune most of the inline quotes and place his/her reply bellow the context, while keeping the original, and possibly all previous messages from the thread, attached for reference (visible only when "Display Attachments Inline" is selected, or when opened in a separate window). Is anyone aware of such enhancement request already filled in Bugzilla?

I certainly agree with Paul that pruning makes sense, at least theoretically. For me, however, it is impractical. 90+% of my email is work-related, if I were to prune every email I reply to, and somehow leave some sort of stub that would be informative, I would spend an hour or more a day doing that. I don't have the time for that.

I realize that bottom-posting is "the rule" in a lot of places. However, in the work newsgroups and emails I get, top-posting is the standard, right or wrong. Also, I know for a fact that not everyone I correspond with uses Mozilla products, the majority use Outlook. In addition, a lot of people don't thread their emails, so they may (or may not) need the entire chain of posts. Not to mention the fact that it is common for a thread to change directions in the middle; yes, it drives me crazy, but it happens.

So, whether it is the majority or not, top-posting is what I have to do.

Stanimir's proposal for an additional option makes sense, as long as it is set up so the user has options on how to implement it. Again, though, I do not know if Outlook has similar capabilities, I do not and never will use Outlook, but whatever I send needs to be compatible for those users.

Dave