On 6/12/2011 1:55 AM PT, Jens Hatlak typed:

I don't know if the places.sqlite file is portable.

It is, at least as long as you use it with the same (SM/platform) version.

Dang. This will be a problem for me since I manually copy my bookmarks and other files (addressbooks and mails) between computers' SM2 (do keep the same versions updated on all machines). Why is places.sqlite keeping specific details like OS'?

My recommendation would be to export it to an HTML file, which is ASCII
and should be portable. You then import it back into places.sqlite on
the other platforms.

I wouldn't do that. You will lose any information that is stored in
Places but cannot be stored in bookmarks.html, like tags and favicons
(and maybe more). It depends whether you need that information, of
course, and places.sqlite contains more than just bookmarks.

If you really want to exchange just bookmarks but not lose any
information, either use the JSON export/import (Save/Restore), or Sync.

I really don't want to use Sync. Oy, export/import sounds more work. Grr.
--
"She's got ants in her pants." --unknown
   /\___/\               Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)