Ray_Net wrote:
PhillipJones wrote:
Ray_Net wrote:
Rick Merrill wrote:
Paul wrote:
Ray_Net wrote:
Why this groups is asking me to download 500 headers out of 61911 ????
Its your browser doing that.
You can change its settings to download all of them if you want,
but thats a lot of downloading.
Yes, The 500 is a suggested limit to prevent downloading all the old
ones.
You've just added this group I'm guessing.

NO NO ... I have this group for years .... the problem is not 500, it's
61911 .... The problem is ..This group is working very well every days
.... But sometimes i got this stupid situation.

Don't know if it works on PC's, but on Mac's you click and hold on the
group name (I use the three pane mode.) and a context menu comes up
choose Properties: you'll this http://screencast.com/t/qYVHSoyN

(i use a different theme so the look may be different) click on the item
I have arrow pointing to. Then you'll get this window

http://screencast.com/t/iobsnPEz

type in the amount of message headers you actually want to download.

it will remain set at that.

Why do you tell me to download headers(from another way) when he
suddently ask me to download headers ?

   Normally everyday, each time i click on the news.mozzilla.account, he
download only the new unreaded posts. This is the normal way of work.

Foe testing i have done as you suggested a download of headers... i have
tried to download *all* the headers (61911) he stopped working after
59762. The SM window was completely grey. The only way to recover was to
kill SM with the right-upper square with a cross inside.

Anyway, HOW many headers must i download ? is 500 enough ? too great ?
Nobody knows, this is another cloud part.

It look like SM have a lot of bugs ... with that part of the program.

This probably happens to any browser, when a news server changes their message numbers or reconstructs their files after maintenance problems, when their message numbers no longer agree with what is in our browser to begin our download with. Perhaps that is what happened to you.

I have also had problems with one newsgroup that has so much volume it would give me problems until I changed the SM settings to not retain messages beyond 30 days. If you want to try this, look under your newsgroup settings for Synchronization and Storage and put some limits on what you want to retain.
bj