Interviewed by CNN on 23/06/2011 21:56, WLS told the world:
> Ray_Net wrote:
>> Robert Kaiser wrote:
>>>
>>> A lot of things would be nice. Do you sign up to the job of backporting
>>> all those security patches? If so, we maybe can start talking about it.
>>>
>> Perhaps i have not explained correctly - The question is not for
>> backporting ... the question is just why do you change major versions so
>> often ?
>
> "Mozilla plans to switch to more frequent Firefox releases in order to
> provide frequent improvements to users, without disrupting longer term
> work."
>
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease#Overview

Let me elaborate a little...

Think it this way: the traditional development model is like writing a
book -- you take your time, do your research, assemble all the elements
and attempt to launch a coherent package. It's done when it's done. Each
major version will make bring all the changes together.

The Chrome-style rapid development is more like publishing a magazine,
or a newspaper. You have regular release dates, and you go "do we have
anything for this release?" If a feature is stable enough, you release
it, even if it would still benefit from more tinkering. Next release,
you improve it. So the feature launches are kinda staggered, instead of
being released all at once.

The rapid-release train essentially does away with the distinction
between major and minor versions (it's somewhat in the middle), and
reduces the importance of maintenance releases (Chrome does do bugfix
releases, but the new major version arrives pretty soon, so many people
don't even notice the maintenance releases).

The good thing about the rapid-release train is that the features that
are ready are released to the users sooner, since they don't have to
wait for other features.

The bad thing...? Well, the system doesn't lend itself well for major
reworkings. It would be impossible to do Seamonkey 2 in a rapid-release
train, I think -- for a long time, Seamonkey would be unusable, because
the XPFE features no longer worked and the Toolkit replacements weren't
ready. I think the Firefox people did right by waiting for Firefox 4
(which was a major redesign of the UI, and some of the innards) before
switching to rapid-release.

--
MCBastos

use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

-=-=-
... Sent from my Roomba.
*Added by TagZilla 0.066.2 running on Seamonkey 2.1 *