Joe Rotello wrote:
On 6/25/2011 3:20 AM, support-seamonkey-requ...@lists.mozilla.org wrote:
On Fri, 24 and 25 Jun 2011 , Rostyslaw Lewyckyj And Philip Chee
discussed:
> SM needs a full fledged manual.
Thunderbird is crowsourcing a manual. Looks quite impressive.

http://blogs.mozillamessaging.com/docs/2010/12/08/thunderbird-floss-manual-done/

http://en.flossmanuals.net/thunderbird/
http://en.flossmanuals.net/firefox/

Phil

One main "trouble" with these manuals, be they "crowdsourced" or not,
although the idea has good merit...

Does this/these apparent new Thunderbird, SeaMonkey or Firefox manuals
cover up to, say, Thunderbird 3.1.11 or at least 3.1, SeaMonkey as of
2.1, or Firefox as of 5.0 ?

Just wondering, as so many of these manuals or instructions we see were
not updated or published last since late 2010 or so.

Far FAR too much has changed for many manuals to be of real value to
most users ?

My thought is that the developers are simply changing things too fast for documentation to keep up. So even if there was a person to do the work, unpaid developers feel zero responsibility to notify the document maintainer of changes, because they don't feel like it and nothing bad will happen if they don't.

That's not a complaint, it's an explanation. I have asked for documentation on writing themes for... since 1.0.6, and gotten answers like "no time," "read the code, it changes a lot," and similar. Manuals are bigger projects, and the cost of tracking a dynamic project by reading the code is too high for free time and too expensive for paid work.

Joe
Skype: joerotello

--
Bill Davidsen <david...@tmr.com>
  We are not out of the woods yet, but we know the direction and have