TheFunnySide wrote:
Hi Phillip,

Thanks very much for your reply.  That's weird, I'm using exactly the
same version of Sea Monkey and OS X - I wonder what it is about my set-
up that is causing this problem?

What happens my end is:

- I enter "©" in the source view.
- Upon saving, it automatically switches to normal view.
    Here it shows "©".
- Going back to source view, it also shows ©

That last one is bizarre. There is no way you should see the character unless something is doing HTML interpretation. If you can use command line a little, you can use the "less" command to view the file, hopefully this happens in a small test file as well.

When the page is viewed in a browser/email client it shows a capital A
with a grave accent before the ©

I suspect that you are using some 16bit character set, and the data you see as two characters is intended to be viewed as one. Yes, I'm guessing on that, take it as a thought provoking idea, not an explanation.

I have tried switching on the option to 'retain source formatting' but
that doesn't seem to have any effect.

As for the Charset, I've tried switching the encoding to UTF-8 but
have the same issue with SeaMonkey changing the code back to © and
therefore the rendering in the browser and email client.

It's possible that if you're using certain character sets on a Mac that there is some seldom used code you may be testing for us. I'll ask my Mac user friends to test if they have Seamonkey installed. This is with 2.2?

About:config - was all the same as you too - so I'm puzzled.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply though - it's all so
frustrating, apart from this niggly problem I was loving SeaMonkey.

--
Bill Davidsen <david...@tmr.com>
  We are not out of the woods yet, but we know the direction and have