Arnie Goetchius schrieb:
When I set the wrap at 74 characters, the message wraps correctly when
I'm typing it. However, when I send it to the news group it does not
wrap when I view it. Is there something I can do about that in
Preferences or about:config?

Interesting point.

When you look at the source code of your posting, it's actually wrapped there. (Should be Strg-U on Windows.)

However, the content type is set to

which makes the reader(!) display it with stitching the lines back together.
The last message from "nr" does not have this tag, and shows accordingly.

It's the same with my postings, I just checked.
I have not found the setting to change this - however, there is a about:config entry, which smells like this:

mailnews.send_plaintext_flowed

which does the trick (confirmed with the local copies of drafts of this posting). "true" (flow is on) is the default value.

BR/Philipp