Interviewed by CNN on 09/09/2011 22:03, Richard Owlett told the world:
> MCBastos wrote:
>> <*MASIVE* SNIP>
>> Right after 2.3.0 being made available, the dev team became aware of an
>> issue with the digital certificates. < another *MASSIVE* snip>
>
> Should how "certificates" are accepted by SM be rethought?

It already was. Now there are redundant certificate trees.

> Why replace the whole program/system for a problem in one area?

Well, it was a patch. It was hardly "replacing the whole program." I
think the download was less than 2 Mb for me.

> I confidently predict that this type of problem will exist until the
> "heat death" of universe ;!
> No, I don't want to guess at how many person years I'm implying. But
> I do think it should be considered.

I'm not the person to ask. But: generally speaking, the distribution of
the certificates is a delicate problem -- it's a bit of a
chicken-and-egg thing: you have to have trusted certificates to
distribute trusted certificates... this has not been too frequent a
problem, so distributing the certificates as part of the maintenance
releases has worked so far. But I suppose there might be a better
option. If you have an idea, file a bug with your suggestion.

--
MCBastos

use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

-=-=-
... Sent from my table at the Babylon 5 Zocalo.