Sun, 02 Oct 2011 16:45:25 -0500, /Jane--Galt/:
Stanimir Stamenkov <s7a...@netscape.net>  wrote :
Sun, 02 Oct 2011 12:50:27 -0500, /Jane--Galt/:

But when, if ever, will they fix the sluggish Bookmarks problem, for
people who keep huge bookmarks files of a few megs in size?

Just to get some figures, how huge is your "places.sqlite" file?

62 megs, but what's that got to do with bookmarks?

That's where your bookmarks (and browsing history) get stored, if you didn't know:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_SeaMonkey#Files

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Places.sqlite

The second article links to "Locked or damaged places.sqlite" <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Locked_or_damaged_places.sqlite> which suggests a damaged "places.sqlite" may cause hangs. You may further read:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs#Places_database

We've talked about this before here. When I click the menu button to
open bookmarks, it does nothing, or I have to click several times and
wait each time, until it finally loads, or use Ctrl-B to open them that
way.

So invoking the Bookmarks Manager using Ctrl+B opens it faster than
the Bookmarks menu?

Yes, right away.

Could it be some of your installed extensions
interfering and blocking the UI?

No, I did fresh installs with no extensions, just importing my BM's, and it
still did it. I have few extensions. Just Tinyurl, I think.

 Try starting with all add-ons
disabled to see if it would make any difference: Help -> Restart
with Add-ons Disabled.

So did you try running in safe-mode or with add-ons disabled to see if it would make any difference?

--
Stanimir